Fred Derner and his wife were looking to move to a more central location to reduce their commutes, and to be closer to all that St. Louis has to offer. They were looking for a home with an open floor plan, a two car garage and minimal maintenance.
“We couldn’t find a house with a floorplan that we liked for the money we were willing to spend,” said Fred, “Many of the homes we found were older fixer-uppers that had old mechanical systems, electrical, roof, windows and doors. So, when we couldn’t find the home we wanted, we purchased a lot in the neighborhood we wanted and reached out to Hibbs Homes to help us begin the process of tearing down the old home and building our ideal home in its place.”
To ensure the long term affordability of their new home, the Derners invested in a geothermal heating and cooling system in their home. “I estimate my payback on this investment will be seven years – maybe sooner. It started paying dividends immediately. Paired with Kim’s high performance home building style, our utilities are incredibly low. While we haven’t had our house certified as ‘green,’ I suspect my neighbors with smaller homes would like to trade utility bills with me.”
The Webster Groves custom home construction project features:
- Transom windows in the kitchen, laundry and bathrooms
- Geothermal heating and cooling – zoned for main floor and second floor
- Lifetime stone-coated metal roof
- Wall oven
- Granite countertops
- Large master shower with seat
- A 2-car side-entry garage
- An open floorplan
- A floorplan that allows for aging in place – including wider doorways and main floor access to most critical needs.